Scope: Responsible for all activities associated with safely operating and caring for the powered industrial trucks (forklift) (PIT) while transporting, loading and unloading product.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Successfully pass the powered industrial truck (PIT) training class.
- Operate the forklift in a safe manner and comply with all PIT safety rules.
- Complete and document a PIT Checklist form before the start of shift and when operating a new PIT and turn in maintenance work orders to supervision for needed repairs.
- Remove from service any PIT deemed to be unsafe to operate by complying with the PIT LOTO policy.
- Comply with all directives from Supervision and Dispatch.
- Remove finished goods from machines in a timely manner.
- Maintain neat, orderly, and safe stacks of stock in storage areas.
- Remove waste units from the machines and stack them neatly, orderly and safely at the hogger area.
- Remove overrun units from the machines and stack them neatly, orderly and safely at the overrun area.
- Scan to a location every move of every unit handled.
- Maintain accurate location of stock in storage area by computer.
- Clean out trailers before loading.
- Load trailers efficiently, minimizing dead space and without damaging product.
- Assist other forklift operators as necessary and is backup to Shipping Lead Person.
- Unload trailers as necessary and turn in Receivers to the Dispatch desk.
- Unload returns and comply with the Returned Goods Policy.
- Keep shipping dock clean.
- Notify the Supervisor of any discrepancy, quality nonconformance or issue that would adversely affect customer requirements.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures, including safety and maintaining good housekeeping.
- Additional duties may be assigned by management.
Personal Protective Equipment Requirements:
Sturdy leather shoes or steel toed sneakers, ANSI 75 rated clear safety glasses, hearing protection, gloves and face mask when changing propane gas tank. Safety lock for LOTO.
Candidates are PREFERRED who offer the following:
- Prior work experience in the corrugated industry.
- Prior work experience as a PIT operator.
Able to read and follow English instructions on the computer screen.
Able to read a tape measure with speed and accuracy. Able to calculate figures and amounts such as percentages, measurement, volume and rate. Able to apply concepts of high school math.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or graphic form. Ability to deal with problems involving one or more concrete variables in standardized situations.
- The individual must have a working knowledge of the following:
- Equipment design and capabilities of the PIT that can be translated into efficient operation.
- Product layouts and production specifications.
- Product quality specifications.
- Quality standards.
- Ability to operate a computer.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Required to maintain a current PIT license and complete retraining as necessary
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods, stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to operate vehicle controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions as well as hot and cold temperatures. The employee is occasionally exposed vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually above 80dB.
General Application for Employment